Sunday, October 14, 2018

Come Home in Your Skinny Jeans


  Yes you really can get off a cruise ship or leave an all inclusive resort wearing your skinny jeans. There is no reason to bring your yoga pants if you follow my few rules about staying in shape while on vacation. I have kept off 50+ pounds since 2010 and I travel regularly, so I will share my secrets with you and if you are a regular here, you know I love food.

Workout- Just because you are on vacation, don't take a break from working out. My workout clothes always come with me, because I want to have that dessert tonight or my amaretto on the rocks for a night cap. So I will hop on the elliptical or treadmill for 30 minutes a day to burn off those extra calories.

Don't Wait for the Elevator- When I am on a cruise I take the stairs to get where I want to go instead of the elevator most of the time. If that is too much for you just get off the elevator a deck or 2 before your desired location and walk the rest of the way. This also works at resorts too.

Pick Active Shore Excursions- You may have been sitting around by the pool or the beach for a few days, get out and try some snorkeling or a walking tour of town. And yes if you are at an all inclusive get out and discover the country you are visiting either on your own or a scheduled tour.

Food & Drink- Personally I try to eat my regular diet with some indulgences when on vacation. Okay those bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon do call my name at breakfast, but I will only go with half a bagel and a light smear of cream cheese. I do get lean protein and veggies so I can try the desserts, especially if there is anything chocolate! I tend to stay clear of high calorie drinks like Pina Coladas, and stick with something lighter like wine or a vodka & tonic but I also drink plenty of water. Not only will it help you feel full, it will help keep you hydrated if you are somewhere warm and flying also effects your hydration level, so don't skip your water! Most resorts and cruise ships have low calorie options clearly marked on the menu and the portion sizes are much smaller than say your well known sit down chain restaurant, so while you eat more courses it is probably less food.

Know your level of fitness before you go- I always advise my 1st time Walt Disney World clients about the amount of walking you will do in a visit, very easy to hit that magic 10,000 step mark per day. Most excursions either at a resort or when cruising usually have good guidelines on how active the tour is. If it looks like too much on paper for you or someone in your group it probably is. So maybe start an exercise program, even just starting to take a daily walk will get you into Disney shape before you go. Who wants to spend time on vacation nursing sore muscles from overuse?

You don't need to diet on vacation but strategically pick where to indulge and by adding some activity to your day, you too can wear your skinny jeans home too!



No comments:

Post a Comment