Sunday, December 7, 2014

December's Cruise Tips

I love looking at some of the lists on how to do lists for cruises. As a 35 year veteran of cruising, former business road warrior, family traveler(2-4 trips per year) and now in the travel industry, I think some of these lists offer some good advice, but here is my advice for 1st time or infrequent cruisers.

Don't get to the ship early, no you don't get some prize for being the first person on the ship. Any way if you did it would be some tchotchke with the cruise line logo on it. What you do get is to stand in line to get through security and then wait until they are ready to let you on the ship. So I say hang out at your hotel a little longer and have another cup of coffee, because you never know if that wait is going to be made longer by the Coast Guard doing a surprise inspection, or some previous week's cruisers who don't disembark when they are supposed or the computer system crashes. My associate ran into all three of these situations in one weekend of doing ship inspections! I dislike lines, so if I go a little later I usually can breeze right on.

Fly in the day before, but not for the reason you think. It is so much more relaxing way to get ready for your cruise, wake up at a normal time, have a leisurely breakfast and head to the port. Where if you fly in the same day, besides leaving your fate in the hands of mother nature and the airlines, you'll have to be on an early flight, so getting to the airport before dawn. Considering you'll probably some of the first people at the port, see above.

Over-packing, well I see this advice on every travel blog and then see the number of bags people bring, no one is heeding this advice!  Some cruise ship cabins are a little tight on storage, this goes for river and ocean ships. I sailed this summer on a 10 day cruise with one checked bag that weighed in at 38 pounds and I came home with stuff that I didn't wear. The family did a 17 day trip to Hawaii with one checked bag and 2 20" carry-on size bags. My packing philosophy is another blog topic.

Have fun and relax you are on vacation! No cooking, cleaning or laundry. Pack your sense of humor and have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment