Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Yes, Your Teens will Really Love that Disney Cruise!

       So, you have a family with older children and you are planning on taking a cruise with them.  As you research different cruise lines or ask your travel agent for suggestions your find out that one of the highest recommended cruise lines for families are the ships of Disney.  You know the name Disney and families are synonymous with the word fun; but only for families with younger kids.  Your kids are past the Mickey or Princess stage, and you envision a cruise with bored teens surrounded by screaming 4 year old kids and Disney characters.  That was my thought, as I was planning a cruise last winter to get away from the brutal weather we had in the Midwest.  My family, including my 17 and 13 year old sons, have taken plenty of cruises, and I will admit to being somewhat of a Disney geek.  Even after taking my kids to Disney World 13 times over the last 8 years, and the idea of a Disney cruise with my teens was never even considered.

       But after my wife convinced me to try a 3 night cruise on the Disney Magic to their private island Castaway Cay with the boys, all I can say is all my preconceived notions were wrong and WOW!  Everything we love about staying at Disney World; including the service, the professionalism, the magic, and and the variety of age appropriate activities for everyone was also surprisingly found on the Disney Magic.  The layout of the ship never made it feel crowded, and allowed for both the adults and the teens to have their own areas and activities.  Disney has great kids clubs that are organized by age. Both my 17 and 13 year old sons where in different clubs with other kids their age.  From the activities and age appropriate parties organized by the counselors, to just hanging out and  getting free ice cream, they both admitted they had a blast.

       What my wife and I loved was the great adult only areas and activities; including a great pool, coffee bar and and great adult only restaurant, Palo, we never felt that we where surrounded by hundreds of children.  Then add the great shows, and the great food, and the water slides, and the movies, and the activities on Castaway Cay, and... well all I can say is everyone admitted to having a great time and wished the cruise had lasted longer, and my kids keep asking when we are doing our next Disney cruise.  So take it from a man who was hesitant, and find out what thousands of other families already know: Disney Cruises are a great time for the entire family, no matter what their ages.  And to answer my boys question; ASAP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment